This classic 8,000 square foot Greek Revival sideyard house was built in 1843 for a wealthy merchant. The house passed through several ownerships over its 165 year history, surviving an earthquake in the 19th century, numerous minor alterations, and years of benign neglect before being rescued by our clients who have completely restored it to its original 1843 design.
This project was the recipient of an AIA Merit Award for Historic Preservation by New York State in 2009.
In our role as Design Architects for this project, we have worked closely with local restoration contractor Richard Marks to define how our clients would best utilize the rooms in the restored house, and to design new spaces (such as kitchens and bathrooms) that fit seamlessly into the original fabric. This ambitious restoration project required the complete reconstruction of substantial portions of the house and 4 years of painstaking construction. The project was the recipient of an AIA Merit Award for Historic Preservation by New York State in 2009.